Union Policy, Rules and Code of Ethics
NZEI Te Riu Roa (New Zealand Educational Institute Te Riu Roa Incorporated) respects the privacy and confidentiality of members, potential members and users of web sites and social media sites that NZEI has control over under the Privacy Act 1993 and is committed to being open and transparent about how we manage your
What this policy covers
Where personal information is collected by third party web sites on behalf of NZEI Te Riu Roa the privacy policies of the respective organisations will apply except that information passed on to NZEI Te Riu Roa shall then be subject to this policy.
NZEI Te Riu Roa gathers and records personal information for the following purposes:
- To maintain a register of members of NZEI Te Riu Roa in accordance with the Incorporated Societies Act 1908 and the Rules of The New Zealand Educational Institute (Inc.)
- To provide support and services to members
- Organising activities
- Branch functions and activities
- Event administration
- To communicate with members
- To conduct ballots or surveys of members
- To contact potential new members
- To manage an individual’s participation in campaigns
NZEI Te Riu Roa will not sell or rent your personal information to any third party. But we will share limited personal information with trusted third parties that work on our behalf to:
- Distribute our email, print, social media, and other communications
- Conduct surveys or ballots
- Provide additional benefits or services to members
From time to time personal information might be provided to other third parties including:
- employers or their payroll agents in order to ensure appropriate employment agreement coverage and/or entitlements
- NZEI Te Riu Roa elected officials
In situations where NZEI Te Riu Roa is acting on behalf of an individual member, and disclosure to a third party is required, explicit permission to disclose will first be obtained.
In all such circumstances NZEI Te Riu Roa shall only disclose sufficient personal information to allow the third party to undertake their function.
Third parties may not use any personal information provided by NZEI Te Riu Roa for any purpose other than that for which it was provided. We require any third parties to commit to protect the security and confidentiality of personal information provided to them.
Storage and Security
NZEI Te Riu Roa stores most of the personal information on our own secure server located at Wellington. We also use Microsoft Office 365 for our email and other office productivity applications. This means that some personal information we hold may be transferred to, or accessed from, countries other than New Zealand.
Flo2Cash Limited hosts the NZEI Te Riu Roa online membership application form and personal information from the form is passed on to us. Flo2Cash has accredited security credentials to allow it to collect and retain credit card details. These details are not passed on to NZEI Te Riu Roa and we do not record and retain credit card details outside of the Flo2Cash environment.
NZEI Te Riu Roa takes all reasonable steps to ensure the personal information we collect is protected against loss, unauthorised access and disclosure or any other misuse. Additionally, we ensure that any third parties provided with personal information meet our privacy and security requirements. We are satisfied, for example, that Microsoft and Flo2Cash have adequate security and privacy safeguards in place to protect information it holds on our behalf.