As a member of your union, you have a significant role and place in shaping the future of the sector. You are the voice of future educators. Your union membership is free while you’re studying or looking for work in the ECE, Primary or Special Education sectors.
So, if you’re…
- Studying towards a career in education (this could mean as a kaiako, speech language therapist, or education psychologist… etc.)
- A centre/field based ECE student teacher who is in a paid or unpaid teaching position for 15 hours or less a week
- A recent graduate on the hunt for work in the education sector
You can join your union as a student (free) member.
NZEI Te Riu Roa on Campus
Want to meet up with the other NZEI Te Riu Roa members on your campus (or in the wider community)? Getting involved with Te Kupenga Rangatahi (New Educators Network) is a great place to start. When you join as a student member, you will automatically join the network.
Representatives from NZEI Te Riu Roa visit campuses all over the country to hear what students are experiencing in their journey to becoming qualified educators. Anyone can ask for NZEI Te Riu Roa representatives to visit your campus (not just your lecturers!). In fact, we encourage student members to take ownership and contact NZEI Te Riu Roa so we can organise campus visits at your university or Polytech. If you would like to become the NZEI Te Riu Roa representative on campus, email your new educator organiser at firstname.lastname@example.org
Your network holds a variety of activities for student members such as:
- Starting Out Workshops: all about your educator CV, interview, and finding jobs.
- Local Te Kupenga Rangatahi (New Educator Network) meet and greet evenings.
- Te Kupenga Rangatahi Annual Activist Hui (travel, food, and accommodation covered)
- Access to union-wide hui and conferences (Pasifika Fono, Te Kāhui Whetū, Hui-ā-tau)
These events help prepare you for the transition from being a student to employment as a kaiawhina or kaiako.